Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

My last great dive

Who needs a wet-suit in bathwater.  This is my second dive that weekend
So I am a scuba diver.  I said it, no need to be shocked.  I am addicted to H2O and I don't care what anybody thinks.  Unfortunately my last few years have been so busy that I've only been diving in Lake Tahoe for my advanced open water certification, and a lake near my parent's house since I desperately wanted to try out a new BC I wasted far too much money on.  About three years ago though, I went on a trip to Cozumel Mexico with an ex-girlfriend and went on several of the most spectacular dives of my life.  I've been diving in Hawaii, Grand Cayman, Florida, and Mazatlan, but this was by far the best.  I don't know if I just got lucky that weekend or maybe i was feeling so good already that it just made me think the diving was better than it really was, but I had an absolute blast.  I had just bought a new dive camera and I spent an entire afternoon fiddling with it the day before my first dive.  When we finally got in the water for our first dive, of course I had forgot to put in a memory card, DUH.  But luckily I was able to take a few pictures on the internal memory.  So after I fixed my stupid mistake we moved on to our second dive of the day.  This dive was to a location the dive master called the wall.  It was a drop off that went from 60ft rapidly down to 130ft.  We followed the boat anchor down to a small rocky outcrop and set off along the ridge.  Looking down it just seemed like the stereotypical abyss that everyone refers to when talking about the deep, but the amount of life along this entire wall was incredible.  There were thousands of fish just going about their lives as though there was nothing strange about several enormous air bubble spewing monsters entering their home.  Some of the more beautiful and wonderful creatures I managed to get pictures of, most of which can be seen on my facebook page, but I've put a few in this post for you to see.
 The next day I had one of my favorite experiences in all my dives.  I was gazing off into the distance, lost in the bliss of being underwater when I hear my dive-buddy rapping against his tank.  I looked over to see him wildly gesticulating like some sort of madman then I understood.  I looked down directly below me to see I was swimming about 4 feet above a shark.  Luckily my dive camera was on my wrist and I was able to snap this quick photo.  It was only about 3 and a half feet long, but I assure you nothing quite gets your blood pumping like being unexpectedly that close to a shark.  So for anyone who asks I always recommend diving Cozumel.  Maybe you'll find it spectacular like me, or maybe you'll get skunked, but either way you can go back to land that evening and exaggerate your stories over tequila shots and rum drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment